Friday, December 20, 2013

Roadway to Ubuntu

This post is neither a solution nor a suggestion. This is what I experienced during installation of ubuntu in my system.
    Since the first day I used a computer, I was using MS Windows as default and primary operating system. Though, its important for a student to cope with different operating systems. During this time, I have used different Unix/Linux based live OS. Deciding which OS I should use is pretty tough decision because there are bunch of choices and all of those are free. :P
    My first attempt to install Linux was on a AMD A55 machine. It was a failure because of hardware configuration. ( I have tried it with both 32bit and 64bit different OSs. )
Then I got my laptop, an Intel system with pre-installed Windows 7 in it. Well, I removed it with Windows 8 from DreamSpark account at 0.00$ cost. :D Living together with Windows 8 was quiet fun. xD However, when I took Operating System course at University, it was a necessity having a Linux OS in my system. But, I failed again. Ubuntu live OS ran fine, installation started every time, but it could not modify the karnel about installation! I tried with Fedora, OpenSuse, Ubuntu, BackTrack and LinuxMint. Each time it started fine, but ends with error. Error! Error!! Error!!! ( Now I have figured it why.. Windows hibernate/hybrid-shutdown option was not allowing any other OS to modify the storage. Later I turned it off using the following command. )
powercfg /h off
    Enough installing Linux for me! So, I kept it cool with Windows.
Meanwhile, my pc was attacked by SIREFEF virus. It turned off, turned off(!) Windows Defender permanently and converted system directories into junctions. Thats why I could not turn Windows Defender on. It ate all the website certificates on all browses. Whenever I turned on the pc, a VB script was creating executable file and some null processes on background. I got rid off this virus using HitmanPro.
    Another thing this virus did was making disk partitions undetectable in disk management tool or windows setup. So, I was thinking on a new set up. Why not Linux now? Yes, it was time for Ubuntu to take all the disk spaces. :D This time I was stuck with, UEFI abd Legacy Mode. Certainly I wanted Ubuntu in UEFI mode but did not find any option for Windows but Legacy mode. Oh, I surely wanted a duel boot.
    I created partitions, installed Ubuntu. Then another problem did arise! Windows could not format GPT partitions. I erased the whole disk using diskpart.
diskpart
list disk
select disk *
clean
convert gpt
exit
    Well, windows was installed. Finally, I installed Ubuntu by formatting unallocated spaces. Installation Finish! Restart!! Windows Boot!!!
    Ah, the MBR, windows boot manager. Again I inserted Ubuntu live USB to install GRUB.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
sudo boot-repair
    At last... Got my dual boot system with Ubuntu 12.04.2 and Windows 8. Decided to use Ubuntu as primary and Windows as supporting OS.
Finally, Enjoying Ubuntu!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks - Jajabor, 2014